“Make every minute count. The minutes are more important than the years.”
Ι live in Hampshire, UK
I work for SpecSavers as a Product Development Manager
4 university degrees: PhD, MSc, BEng, Dip
20+ years of IT experience in software development and project delivery
The universal language Esperanto
Fitness and healthy living
A life-long love for astronomy
Hypnosis and psychotherapy
Spirituality, meditation, self-realisation and the teachings of Yogananda
20+ years of IT experience in software development and project delivery
Dates, Organisations and Roles
- OCT/2012 – : Product Development Manager @ SpecSavers, UK
- APR/2008 – JUL/2012: Project Manager @ Intrasoft, GR
- AUG/2007 – APR/2008: (Contractor) Technical Manager @ European Dynamics, GR
- MAR/2005 – AUG/2007: Development Manager @ Avnet, UK
- NOV/2003 – JAN/2005: Sytems Engineer @ Hellenic Navy, GR
- OCT/1998 – MAR/2003: Research Fellow @ University of Surrey, UK
Development management and team leading – Project management and delivery of medium size projects – Java, J2EE, UI and database development – Software lifecycle management – Agile and iterative development – Software design
4 university degrees in engineering and science
Dates and Universities
- OCT/1998 – JUL/2003: PHD – Network Performance Management using Mobile Software Agents @ University of Surrey, UK
- SEP/1997 – SEP/1998: MSC – Telematics (Communications and Computer Engineering) @ University of Surrey, UK
- SEP/1994 – JUN/1997: BENG (2.1 Hons) – Electrical & Electronic Engineering @ Cardiff University, UK
- DEC/1999 – DEC/2003: DIP – Natural Sciences (astronomy-related focus) @ Open University, UK
- APR/2014 – APR/2019: Prince2 Practitioner (APMG – License 2000001918)
- MAY/2015 – ∞ : ITIL Service Transition (APMG – License 9980026644808547)
Network performance management using software mobile agents
A lot of promise has surrounded the potential impact of mobile software agents in the area of network management. This thesis aims to present a clear direction of practical exploitation of mobile agents for network management tasks. Three different case studies of network performance management were examined in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the agent mobility strategy and autonomous behaviour applied within the specific context.
This work importantly allowed the identification of ‘Constrained’ mobility, an agent migration strategy especially suited for network management tasks, involving a mobile agent autonomously migrating to a single network element where its execution is confined. The mobile agent benefits identified relate primarily to the easy support for programmability of network elements and the autonomous, self-configurable agent operation.
An important drawback is that the advanced capabilities of modern mobile agent frameworks typically incur significant performance overheads and these were confirmed through a detailed performance evaluation comparing mobile agents to distributed object and mobile code approaches. In the direction of addressing this drawback, the work proposes network management solutions based on specially formulated execution environments that retain important mobile agent benefits while reducing network performance overheads.
Research on Distributed Software Systems
- C. Bohoris, Network Performance Management using Mobile Software Agents, PhD Thesis, University of Surrey, UK, June 2003.
Journal & Book
- C. Bohoris, G. Pavlou, A. Liotta, Mobile Agent-based Performance Management for the Virtual Home Environment, In the Journal of Network and Systems Management (JNSM), vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 133-149, Plenum Publishing, June 2003.
- A. Galis, S. Covaci, eds., Mobile Intelligent Agents Applied to Communication Management Systems, C. Bohoris
contribution on mobile agent-based network performance management, CRC Press, ISBN: 0849392012, January 2002.
International Conference Papers
The following papers have been published in refereed international conferences and workshops that assess full papers and have formally published proceedings.
- S. Sivavakeesar, G. Pavlou, C. Bohoris, A. Liotta, Effective Management Through Prediction-based Clustering for Next Generation Ad Hoc Networks, In the Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC ’04), Paris, France, IEEE, June 2004.
- F. Bader, C. Pinart, C. Christophi, I. Ganchev, E. Tsiakkouri, C. Bohoris, V. Friderikos, L. Correia, User-Centric Analysis of Perceived QoS in 4G IP Mobile/Wireless Networks, In the Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC ’03), vol. 3, pp. 2047-2053, IEEE, September 2003.
- A. Liotta, A. Yew, C. Bohoris, G. Pavlou, Delivering Service Adaptation with 3G Technology, In the Proceedings of the 13th IFIP/IEEE International Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operations and Management (DSOM ’02), Montreal, Canada, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 2506, pp.108-120, Springer, October 2002.
- C. Bohoris, A. Liotta, G. Pavlou, A Hybrid approach to Network Performance Monitoring based on Mobile Agents and CORBA, In the Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Workshop on Mobile Agents for Telecommunication Applications (MATA ’02), Barcelona, Spain, A. Karmouch, T. Magedanz, J. Delgado, eds., pp. 151-162, Springer, October 2002.
- A. Yew, C. Bohoris, A. Liotta, G. Pavlou, Quality of Service Management for the Virtual Home Environment, In the Proceedings of the 12th IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operations and Management (DSOM ’01), Nancy, France, O. Festor, A. Pras, eds., pp. 179-190, INRIA Press, October 2001.
- C. Bohoris, A. Liotta, G. Pavlou, Evaluation of Constrained Mobility for Programmability in Network Management, In Services Management in Intelligent Networks, Proceedings of the 11th IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operations and Management (DSOM ’00), Austin, Texas, USA, A. Ambler, S. Calo, G. Kar, eds., pp. 243-257, Springer, December 2000.
- C. Bohoris, A. Liotta, G. Pavlou, Software Agent Constrained Mobility for Network Performance Monitoring, In the Proceedings of the 6th IFIP Conference on Intelligence in Networks (SmartNet 2000) , Vienna, Austria, ed. H.R. van As, pp. 367-387, Kluwer, September 2000.
- C. Bohoris, G. Pavlou, H. Cruickshank, Using Mobile Agents for Network Performance Management, In the Proceedings of the IFIP/IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS ’00), Hawaii, USA, J. Hong, R. Weihmayer, eds., pp. 637-652, IEEE, April 2000.
- C. Bohoris, Simulation and Optimization of JPEG and Motion JPEG, MSc Telematics (Telecommunications and Computer Engineering), Project Report, University of Surrey, UK, 1998.
- C. Bohoris, Transfer Function Generator, BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Project Report, University of Wales, Cardiff, UK, 1997.
The following papers have been published in refereed international workshops that do not have formally published proceedings and accept papers based only on extended abstracts.
- A. Liotta, A. Yew, C. Bohoris, G. Pavlou, Supporting Adaptation-aware Services through the Virtual Home Environment, Proceedings of the Hewlett-Packard Openview University Association Plenary Workshop 2002 (HP-OVUA), June 11-13, 2002.
- A. Yew, A.Liotta, C. Bohoris, G. Pavlou, Towards Quality of Service Aware Services for the Virtual Home Environment, Proceedings of the Hewlett-Packard Openview University Association Plenary Workshop 2001 (HP-OVUA), Berlin, Germany, June 24-27, 2001.
- G. Pavlou, A. Liotta, C. Bohoris, D. Griffin, P. Georgatsos, Providing Customisable Remote Management Services Using Mobile Agents, Proceedings of the Hewlett-Packard Openview University Association Plenary Workshop 2000 (HP-OVUA), Santorini, Greece, June 12-14, 2000.