When starting a project, I need revision control locally but also on a central repository. Nowadays I use git for revision control and my Synology NAS server to host the remote repository. Below are the steps I use to set everything up.
1. Remotely access using SSH the remote NAS server.
2. On the server, create an empty folder for the repository.
3. Get into the folder.
4. Initialise an empty, bare git repository.
5. On the local machine, get into the project folder.
6. Initalise a local git repository.
7. Tell the local git repository about the remote repository on the NAS server.
8. Place all local project files under version control.
9. Commit the added files to the local git repository.
10. Push the local, master branch to the origin, remote git repository.